With the hundreds of e-commerce marketing tools available out there, there’s something for any marketing function you can think of. The first page of results alone on Capterra shows stand-out pieces that can propel your business forward.
However, an overload of tools can be worse than having too few. If you have 7 different software monitoring your social media accounts, you’ll end up wasting time and money.
We took all the awesome software out there and segmented them by category, so you can see exactly where these tools will be useful (and avoid duplicating your efforts).
This is another list, but it’s the only one you’ll need to run your e-commerce marketing efforts.
Content is the backbone of all marketing efforts. In order to make conversions, your content and assets must first convince your target audience that your product or service is worth purchasing. If you aren’t simply building pages on Amazon or eBay, you’ll also need to set up your own website and make it easy for potential customers to find you. Here are the tools you’ll need to build your brand, blog, and web presence.
This e-commerce platform allows you to customize your site, manage shipping and payments, and list your products on other platforms like Amazon, Ebay, and Facebook. You can integrate multiple apps for added functionality, and increase conversions with built-in optimization tools.
Shopify is an e-commerce platform that lets you build your brand with your own domain, design theme, logos, and more. It allows you to fully customize your store, add all your sales channels, manage unlimited products and inventory, fulfil orders, and track sales.
This highly customizable e-commerce platform gives sellers the control to sell anything, anywhere, with the designs and features they want. WooCommerce also gives developers an extendable, adaptable, open-sourced platform.
WordPress is a content management system that is highly customizable, with everything you need to build your own online store. It has multiple plugins for security, shopping carts, SEO, and other marketing and design features.
Example: Bloomberg Professional
This solution is an open-source PHP e-commerce platform, which means you get full control of everything you do. Design it to your taste, add extra features now or later, and keep all your information secure.
Enter the topics you want to write about and see the most shared articles around those topics, to get a good idea if it’s a fit for your customers.
- CoSchedule used Buzzsumo to get published on Fast Company
- How BuzzFeed used BuzzSumo to find, analyze and monitor trends
- BuzzSumo for Digital PR
Allows content discovery and delivery, so you can keep track of your industry and competitors to stay on top of the game.
- Use it to follow blogs and influencers and bookmark articles (Association Social Media: American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA))
- How to use Feedly as an Effective Construction Marketing Source
- Using Shared Collections to Distribute Your Content – A Case Study
Provide three nouns, and HubSpot’s tool will come up with a week’s worth of titles to power your blog with.
- Don’t Know What to Write About? Get Ideas From the Blog Topic Generator [Free Tool]
- Generate 100+ Blog Topic Ideas in Seconds
This idea generator takes your key words and phrases, and creates blog titles that your readers will love.
- My (Insanely Large) List of SEO Tools & Other Useful Resources
- 26 Tools That’ll Help You Create Better Headlines
Similar Web helps you find similar content to share. Find out what your customers like and give them more of it.
- How onefourzero Increased its Buy and Sell Side Deals Success Rate by 85%
- Case Study – The Correlation Between Backlinks and Traffic
- Airbnb uses SimilarWeb to reveal growth opportunities in new markets
This tool finds all the backlinks for a particular web URL, whether it’s yours or otherwise. Find your competitors’ backlinks and analyze their marketing strategies to see if it’s working.
- SEO Campaign Case Study: From 126 to 121,883 Unique Visitors in Under 6 Months
- Manual Penalty Removal: An Ahrefs Case Study
- Negative SEO (Case Study) – Cleaning up an Attack With Ahrefs
This content performance tool allows you to plan, optimize, and set up campaigns based on how well your content is competing against the rest of the Internet.
- BrightEdge Improves SEO Traffic by 142%, SEO Leads by 130%, and SEO Revenue 156% in 1 Year
- Twilio Drives 86% Increase in Traffic to Glossary Pages and Blows Out the Longtail Opportunity
- Tahoe South Organic Mobile Traffic Increases 345%
You can use this tool to analyze links and find out what is driving traffic to your website and what your most valuable pages are. It allows you to develop a high-quality inbound link profile while keeping you informed for future decisions.
- [Case Study] How We Ranked #1 for a High-Volume Keyword in Under 3 Months
- The Anatomy of a $97 Million Page: A CRO Case Study
- How to Measure and Report Your Community’s Value: A Moz Case Study
Sumo provides a suite of tools that help you capture information, increase traffic, and track your success. This platform helps you create the most effective email capture forms, heatmaps to see where your visitors click, and build traffic by making your content easy to share.
- Ecommerce Case Study: How Huckberry Went From $10,000 To $1,000,000 Revenue In 1 Year
- Sumo Case Study: How To Make $100,000 In One Day From Your Website
- Sumo Case Study: How A Small Ecommerce Company Got 29,062 Email Leads
Social media marketing combines customer support with marketing and outreach efforts, which makes it a unique beast. It means your interactions with your customers are out there for everyone to see, including potential customers. Because of this, it’s important to get your brand voice and tone right, select the best platforms to reach your clients, keep them active, engage with customers, and measure results. Here are the tools you’ll need to do that.
Here are the different social media platforms worth considering for your e-commerce business, as well as a quick overview of what they are.
- Facebook – (You know what Facebook is, right?)
- Twitter – Quick updates that include text, images, or links
- Pinterest – Images and ideas that you can organize into boards
- Instagram – Image-focused with minimal text
- YouTube – A video-sharing platform
- LinkedIn – Professional networking meets social media
- Snapchat – Instant, disappearing images
Buffer allows you to write and schedule out your social media posts in advance, with powerful analytics and an optimal sharing time feature built in.
- Here’s How a Fast-Growing SaaS Company Shares to Social Media
- Case Study: How Fortune Magazine Found Social Media Success With Buffer
- Case Study: How Business Insider Grew Its Facebook Page to 1M+ Fans With Buffer
Bulk.ly allows you to upload a spreadsheet of social media posts, then send them straight into your Buffer account. Shuffle your posts, add hashtags, categorize, and reschedule your posts for maximum impressions.
An open-source Buffer app that allows you to stock up on Tweets and share them automatically throughout the day.
Hootsuite is a social media scheduling tool that divides your accounts into different boards and streams, so you can see everything within a few convenient, customizable dashboards.
- OCBC Bank brings Hootsuite onboard for customer service and decreases emails by 90%
- The Social Media Strategy That Saved My Destination New Zealand 48 Hours a Month
- Marketo uses Hootsuite to improve lead quality and maintain 93% customer satisfaction
This social media tool is built for B2B, and helps marketers schedule your best posts to multiple profiles, all within a single dashboard.
- Oktopost Helps Sociomantic Manage a Highly Segmented Global Social Media Strategy
- Oktopost Generates a Staggering 800% Click-to-Post Rate with Oktopost
- Certipoint Generates a 386% Increase in Conversions Since Moving to Oktopost
This tool allows you to recycle your most popular social posts, automatically. Your fans will see a mix of your new + evergreen posts, so you don’t have to babysit your feeds.
- Tools We Use: Meet Edgar Review For Social Media
- How to Turn a Single Blog Post Into 10 Fresh Pieces of Content (Or More!)
These social listening tools will allow you to track mentions and monitor what people are saying about your brand your competitors.
This social engagement app is for managing user accounts on Twitter and Instagram. It generates automated answers to commonly asked questions, so if anyone Tweets your account they get an almost-immediate answer.
- Growth Hacking Twitter Followers with Crowdfire
- How A Music Artist Got 134000 Followers, Verified, And Famous On Twitter
- Additional tip: Drive Massive Traffic with Instagram Marketing: A Sumo-Sized Guide
Pay With a Tweet allows your fans to send a Tweet to unlock certain rewards, like coupons, promotions, and additional raffle entries. It can collect emails via pop-ups, measure engagement with heat maps, and more.
Email marketing is an excellent way to move individuals down the buyer’s journey, from awareness, to considerations, to decision (aka a conversion for you). It’s an effective way to foster relationships, keep your customers updated on latest happenings (and offerings), and keep your brand engaging. Here are some email tools you can use to capture email addresses, build beautiful emails, and analyze what works.
This email marketing and automation tool can learn your users’ behavior and customize accordingly.
- How ApproveMe Uses ActiveCampaign to Generate 1,600% More Profit
- How Earth Hour Uses Marketing Automation to Grow Its Worldwide Movement
- Maximizing The Profits Of A Webinar Business With Marketing Automation
This AI-powered tool can help you personalize your emails to each individual.
- Case Study – How Nykaa Practices Advanced eCommerce Email Marketing
- Case Study – Cars24 Achieves Powerful Omnichannel Marketing Using Boomtrain
- Case Study – How Snopes.com Boosted Email and Website Engagement 2x Using Boomtrain
Professional-grade emails that support automated customer journeys, third-party app integrations, and powerful tracking.
- On drives up to 20% of e-commerce sales with email marketing
- Birchbox sells more beauty box subscriptions with email marketing
- Rip Curl makes waves with email marketing
Create a customizable opt-in window in Shopify to capture emails, track user behavior, and nurture leads.
An email marketing platform that allows for automation, A/B testing, segmentation, form fields, and more.
Create landing pages, customize emails, set up autoresponders, and more with this email marketing campaign tool.
- GetResponse boosts open rates by 300% in 60 days
- How Omniconvert Created a Successful Lead Nurturing Campaign with GetResponse
- How Data Science Central Achieves a Unique Open Rate of Up to 40% with GetResponse
Use this email marketing tool to create, schedule, and automate beautiful email campaigns.
- Modern Farmer’s Smart Newsletters and Web-to-Print Conversions
- ElevationLab Grows With Email and Kickstarter
- DODOcase’s Rapid Growth
To help you send out cold emails and generate leads, engagement, and personal relationships.
- How GrowthScore Used Mailshake to Get 500 Leads in Just 72 Hours
- How Venngage Uses Mailshake to Drive More Qualified Traffic to Their Blog Posts
- How Sol Orwell got a 74% response rate on Cold email
Manage your email outreach to automate emails and followups while keeping things personal.
- How Reply Saved HotelsByDay 7 hrs/week For Each Salesperson
- How Reply Reduced the Number of Cold Calls and Increased Sales
- How Reply Helped RelocateMe Achieve an Immediate 37% Reply Rate
This WordPress plugin creates pop-up lightboxes that you can design to capture emails and test against each other for the best results.
Use pop-ups, contests, and landing pages to capture interested leads and nurture them as they become happy customers.
- Spare My Hair increases sales, website traffic, fan engagement and leads.
- Go Eco gains over 550 new leads, 2300 votes and a 33% increase in Instagram followers.
- Quercus gains over 1.8k new sales leads in 2 weeks.
Customer experience should be a concern for your marketing team, since it’s 5x more expensive to acquire a new customer than retain one. Happy clients will tell others, creating powerful word-of-mouth social proof for your brand.
Even more important, unhappy clients tend to share their negative experiences where everyone will be able to see (and judge your brand). Here are the tools to level up your customer support with live chats and organized helpdesk tickets.
When selling a product, you should show the product. Visual assets increase conversion rates, and there is no simpler argument for images and videos than that. In content marketing, articles with images get 94% more views. In e-commerce, 67% of consumers say the quality of a product image is “very important” in selecting and purchasing. Here are the tools you need to find and create great images for your marketing (in addition to the excellent product images you should already have).
Video creation tools
Royalty-free image aggregators
Image design and editors
Conversions are the holy grail of e-commerce marketing. If your marketing gets conversions, it’s the ultimate indicator of success. Here are tools you can use to increase conversions, from analyzing UX, to A/B testing, to loyalty rewards, and more.
Personalize and optimize your visitors’ experiences to make it easier for them to find what they want and make a purchase.
Countly shows exactly when your customers make a purchase, so you can tweak the elements that encourage conversions. Get real-time reports in an easy dashboard.
Get a real-time analysis of your website speed to ensure you don’t lose any of your customers to slow loading times.
Use this tool to offer early access to interested customers, capture data, and don’t let any conversions slip away.
- Hotel Tonight
Moz is a SEO powertool, with a huge toolset to drive customers to your website and monitor your backlinks. Some of their features include keyword research, SEO audits, rank tracking, and more.
- [Case Study] How We Ranked #1 for a High-Volume Keyword in Under 3 Months
- The Anatomy of a $97 Million Page: A CRO Case Study
Include surveys around your e-commerce store to learn how to optimize your site, and see what’s working and what isn’t.
RetentionGrid provides data and analytics in color-coded graphs, making things easy to comprehend at a glance. In addition to analytics, they provide suggestions for reaching your target audience with different (optimized) campaigns.
If you don’t have access to a native speaker on your team, use reliable translation tools to market your e-commerce business in other countries. Here are a few to select from.
See heatmaps of your website so you know where your visitors are clicking, spending the most time, and losing interest. Adjust your website to increase attention on page, and reduce bounce rate.
Hotjar is a go-to analytics tool that shows heatmaps of where your visitors spend time on your website. See how they move their mouse, recordings of mouse activity, and exactly where they’re clicking on your website. You can also see when a visitor leaves, how they scroll through a page, and more.
- Learn how HubSpot Academy used Hotjar Polls to boost signups by 10%
- See how one of the world’s leading CRO agencies uses Hotjar to grow their clients’ businesses
- See how the Uk’s no.1 job portal uses Hotjar to optimise their user experience.
This website optimization platform provides easy A/B testing so you can see what’s working on your website. It allows you to test more than one variate at a time, as well as a mix of different options.
- How the tech-savvy retailer increased stylist productivity 90% through mobile app optimization
- Online retailer optimizes to deliver best-in-class shopping experiences
- FSAstore.com increased revenue per visitor by 54%
VWO is an A/B testing tool that you can use to optimize based on what works. Use their heat maps, click maps, and multiple integration options to ensure your campaign gets conversions.
- Optimizing Mobile Home Page Increases Conversions for Wedding Shoes Website
- How Tough Mudder Gained a 9% Session Uplift by Optimizing for Mobile Users
- How RuneScape Leveled Up Revenue Through Process-Driven CRO
Antavo encourages customer loyalty by making it fun to engage with your brand. They use gamification to manage your clients with more than 40 loyalty schemes.
Smile uses a points system that encourages reviews and rewards your top customers with special surprises.
Use Thankbot to send thoughtful, handwritten, personalized thank you cards to new customers.
Referrals and Reviews
Getting product reviews is a good way to show social proof. Positive reviews can give anyone on-the-fence the push they need to make a purchase, and negative reviews can harm your brand perception. That’s why it’s important to curate your reviews as best as you can, and address poor reviews as quickly as possible. Here are the tools you can use to do that.
Note: If you’re trying to get reviews for products on Amazon, eBay, or other selling platforms, be sure to check their community rules about sponsored reviews.
This tool helps you easily build a referral program to reward your fans for telling their friends about your e-commerce store.
This WordPress form-builder can be a great tool for collecting reviews. Simply ask returning customers whether they would be willing to send in a few comments or add their feedback to your website.
This Shopify app helps sellers get more reviews for their items by automating an after-purchase email that asks your customers to review the project they recently purchased.
Analytics provide a roadmap for your marketing team. It’s evidence of what is going well and what isn’t, so you can adjust and improve. Here are the tools that will show you exactly what on your website is getting conversions, and which marketing efforts to keep or ditch.
Google Analytics is the heart of most metric-tracking systems for a website or online store. It tracks a number of different metrics, such as visitors, bounce rate, and can even track conversion funnels.
- AIDA Cruises prepares for growth with Analytics 360 and Tag Manager 360.
- APMEX, Inc. increases email conversion rates by 62% with Analytics 360 and Google BigQuery.
- Cancer.org donations rise 5.4% with help from Google Analytics.
KISSmetrics helps provide the detailed information you’ll need to increase conversion and retention rates. Their tools will help you see what people are doing on your website, what makes them more likely to purchase, and analyze behavior to optimise your site.
- 30% Lift in Conversions Across Home and Product Tour Pages
- How Ecwid Increased Conversions by 17%
- How an E-commerce Site Increased Conversions
Neatly organizes your e-commerce marketing goals and allows you to track marketing insights by the day. By putting all your KPIs in a customizable dashboard, you can pay attention to the numbers that matter from Shopify, MailChimp, QuickBooks, PayPal, and Google Analytics, among others.
SEMrush provides powerful data in one platform. You can view analytics data for your social media, SEO, and PPC efforts, including backlinks and domain authority analysis. E-commerce marketers can use this tool to view all their numbers in one place, as well as analyze page performance, top keyword suggestions, and how your competitors stack up.
Raven provides SEO tools and white label marketing reports like site audits, backlink data, and automated marketing reports. You can pull data from more than 20 different sources, including Google Analytics, social media ads, and more.
There are never enough hours in a marketer’s day, which is why integration and automation tools are your best friend. They provide all of the returns, on much less of a time investment. Automate the menial tasks that suck up time, so that you can focus on the marketing efforts that will make a big impact on your e-commerce business.
IFTTT stands for “If This Then That,” which means “if this happens, then that should happen.” This tool allows you to integrate the different tools you use and automate how you want them to interact.
Segment combines 200+ apps into one API, which means you can use more than 200 sources and destinations to personalize campaigns, analyze product usage, gauge customer success, and more.
- XO Group uses Segment data to guide couples on their personal journey.
- Contentful uses Segment to optimize marketing performance and product design.
Store Ya adds form to function by integrating various marketing and advertising apps to meet your needs. Engage with your customers through multiple different channels, set up coupons or pop-ups, import your store to Facebook, and more. No coding or design experience necessary.
Zapier allows you to connect various apps to automate your workflows. Similar to IFTTT, it works off of certain events, which trigger a chain of automated instructions. For example, sending yourself an email every time a new order is made, and adding that order to a spreadsheet.
- How the Hotjar Team Creates Databases Automatically with Zapier + HubSpot
- How Lucidcharts Auto-Populates Zendesk and Salesforce with Valuable Data
- Why the Team at Indiegogo Trusts Typeform + Zapier for Contact Management
Finally, you have the multi-functional tools. Many of the tools above have branched out to provide more than their main offering. For example, a social media scheduler may also have analytics built in. However, these are the tools that have strong suites of features built specifically to your needs as e-commerce sellers.
This marketing automation platform operates across email, mobile, SMS, and web platforms, and even has ad retargeting. It serves personalized content based on visitor behavior and can segment customers into groups. Built specially for e-commerce, it boasts a cart recovery solution, live chat, campaign editors, and machine learning features to generate actionable insights.
- How Amydus Used Affinity Driven Algorithm To Reduce Cost Of Acquisition by 33%
- How Crocs Used Onsite Marketing To Increase Customer Acquisition By 14%
Klaviyo combines A/B testing, email autoresponders, sales reports, and Facebook ads to use data as a backbone for more conversions. You can use it to import lists, set up forms to collect more signups, create workflows to automate emails, and hyper-personalize your communications. Klaviyo has an open API so you can integrate their solution with any app that you want, including your CRM and content platform.
- Find out how BombTech Golf brought in nearly $2M in email-attributed revenue in the past year.
- Discover how Taylor Stitch skyrocketed revenue per recipient by 60% with sophisticated segmentation.
- Discover how Top Streetwear increased revenue 20% with segmented email marketing.
Metrilo, which is also built specially for e-commerce, combines CRM, analytics, and email marketing so you can make the most of your data. It has a retention analysis so you can understand your customer lifecycle and time your emails well. You can get real-time numbers, a customer management solution, as well as email marketing all in one place.
- La Mercerissima uses Metrilo’s automated email campaigns to engage customers
- WOW Tea doubled their revenue in 6 months with Metrilo
- Segafredo Zanetti uses Metrilo to sort out its customer data and to personalize its communication with customers
Choose wisely to cover your bases
As you can see from the list above, there is no shortage of e-commerce marketing tools available to help you make sales, increase leads, and more. However, it’s important that you select the tools that fit your process, instead of building your processes around tools. Take advantage of demos and free trials to figure out what software will make conversions easier for your e-commerce business, without the stress.